Keeping the line going-was: <VV> Re: LM kick panel

Mike Ioanes mioanes at woh.rr.com
Sun Oct 21 10:33:02 EDT 2007

I worked for a few years (1980-82) on the now-defunct GMAD assembly line in
the then-new plant in Oklahoma City and saw lots of things happen to "keep
the line going"...the most glaring probably was putting 4 "space-saver"
spares on cars instead of the correct wheels/tires.  The line WOULD stop if
the engine/trans line got out of synch with the body line.  After a while I
had a job that would allow me to see this-a 6-cyl in a 4-cyl car left me
almost no room to put in place the wiring harness.  Off the end of the line
was a large "rework" area where whatever was necessary could be done,
powertrains replaced, etc.  Occasionally I would get the opportunity to work
overtime back there, driving cars.  Had the foreman once tell me to park a
car where they got driven outside to be loaded on transporters or
trains-when I pointed out that it dind't have a trunk lock, he changed his
mind!

It was definitely different from the Chevy plant in Parma,OH I was laid off
from.

Mike Ioanes
glad I'm not still "on the line"