<VV> Starter/clutch problem

BUDPON at cs.com BUDPON at cs.com
Mon Oct 22 13:42:34 EDT 2007

Really need some advice regarding problem with my starter/clutch.  My
mechanic worked for GM many years ago and had much experience with Corvairs.  He's
stumped.

Ordered clutch kit from Clark's.  Rebuilt pressure plate with new ring gear.
Assembly went fine but starter teeth do not engage ring gear teeth properly.
Hard to describe the noise but it's like teeth not meshing but grinding on
each other.  Starter was working perfectly before.  Tried replacement (good)
starter with same results.  Mechanic believes the ring gear might not have been
welded on perfectly.  Talked with tech at Clark's and they say they've never
run into it before.

Anyone out there ever run into this before?  Any ideas or educated guesses?

Thanks.

Bud   </HTML>