<VV> Average gas mileage in Turbos vs. 110's

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Mon Oct 22 13:10:49 EDT 2007

Stephen U,
    Put away your bib, no crow eating necessary.   (Where did THAT expression
ever originate?)
    You are quite correct.  The stock turbo  Corvairs are probably the worst
mileage Corvairs of all.  As explained in  my Turbo chapter in the Corvair
Basics Manual (frequently erroneously called  Corvair Beginners Manual) the turbo
Corvairs lack vacuum advance for their  ignition timing.  That means the same
24 deg. BTC stays CONSTANT all the  way from idle up to about 4000 rpm unless
boost is developed.  This fact  coupled with the low CR of about 8 to 1
causes poorer gas mileage than the other  Corvairs that all have vacuum advance
built into the distributors.  For a  further discussion on what to do about this
lack, consult the Turbo Chapter  in the Basics Manual.
    Strangely enough, the latest trend in new cars is  to use smaller engines
(to get better gas mileage) along with turbos to get  power when you need it.
 An example is the new BMW that achieves better gas  mileage AND better 0 to
60 acceleration times than its competitors by using a  smaller engine with
twin turbos.  Of course this is done with sophisticated  EFI and ignition timing
both controlled by computer which the Corvair sadly  lacked.  However, these
can be added to the Corvair turbo as long as you  don't insist on keeping it
stock.<GGGG>
    Frank "stock is a good beginning" Burkhard

In a message dated 10/22/2007 1:20:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,