<VV> Average gas mileage in Turbos vs. 110's

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 22 01:20:05 EDT 2007

Had an interesting discussion with my nephew.  Which has better gas
mileage: a turbo or a normally aspirated engine?  Since, I believe,
the 110 and the Corsa turbo are very nearly equal as far as
displacement and stroke; the major difference being the aspiration:
which of those gets better mileage in NORMAL city / highway driving
(not trying to do an economy run)?  Does fuel injected vs
turbocharged fuel injected change the equation?

My take was that a non-turbo would get better mileage than a turbo.
(I've never heard of a turbo winning an economy run, but then I'm a
newbie to CORSA, too.)

Bib ready for my plate of crow if necessary.

Stephen U