<VV> The first Corvair??

Cliff tibbitts at qx.net
Tue Oct 23 20:09:25 EDT 2007

I've mentioned this before, but my first Corvair was a 64 Monza Coupe, white
with red interior.  I believe the engine was a stock 95, mated to a 4-speed.
It had the under-dash A/C unit which I later removed.

I had many fond memories, and some not so.  The one I like best was the
night some guy in a Pontiac Tempest (63-64?) with a small block V-8,
automatic tried to outrun me.  I lived in Sarasota, Florida at the time, and
we were already ahead of the national trend of installing traffic lights at
every possible intersection, so light to light bursts were short and sweet.

I beat him handily the first time.  The second time, he power braked and
managed to stay with me.  The third and last light, he popped it into
neutral, revved the engine, slammed it into gear as the light changed, and
finally blew by me at about 45 MPH.

The car was pretty quick in first and second, but dropped off once we got
into third.  Still, I really had a ball with that car and I think that
because of that Monza as well as the 61 Rampy that my dad had, I have always
been fond of Corvairs.  I picked up the 66 Coupe a couple of years ago and
am still putting it back together.

Cliff Tibbitts
66 Monza Coupe, 140/4
Lexington, KY