<VV> The first Corvair??

PEPRLP at aol.com PEPRLP at aol.com
Thu Oct 25 00:05:55 EDT 2007

The first corvair was not mine, but ours. In 1961, dad bought a 4 door, black
in color and the back seat folded down. I recall being woke up at midnight
one summer night in 61 or 62, after dad got home from second shift at the plant
in Flint, loading up and laying down, cross wise with big sister and little
brother, under that rear window. Off to Arkansas we went, for a weeks vacation
to visit the grandparents. Dad would drive straight thru and the 4dr never let
us down.

In 66, the little black 4dr was traded for a sporty Corsa 140/4 Vert. The top
down option was Mom's idea, against dad's better judgement, but mom won out.
I think that first michigan winter gave her regrets about that decesion, but
she she admitted to it. We had no garage, and I remember the snow drifting and
that temps dropping, so that in the AM, momn had to let it warm up for a few
minutes. Long enough for the slush and slurp build up in the pan to thaw from
the previous days driving, otherwise it would not shift.

That Corsa also served well; all three kids got drivers licences in it. We
ferried it across the great lakes to Wisconsin a time or two for visits with
Mom's family, but don't recall any trips south.

I fondly recall the first engine work performed with dad; the Corsa was
backed up home made ramps of 2x6 boards raised onto cinder blocks, and the engine
dropped. Heads and jugs were pulled, rings and seals replaced and a valve job
done. I remember dad pointing out, after splitting the case, (with about 140K
milage) that the reason the inside of that case was so golden in color, with no
sludge or burnt look, was because he always stuck with the same brand oil
(shell) and that "ya gotta change it regularly". That was the beginning of my
love affair, for mechanics and vairs.

Bought a 64 monza from a neighbor for $100.00, rebuilt the engine my senior
year in HS, and never looked back.

Phil
62 Monza Wagons
66 Corsa Basket Case Nostalgic Vert
66 Monza Vert prpoerly tied down on a trailer