<VV> Re: MAP sensor - utlimately for a Corvair

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Thu Oct 25 13:22:39 EDT 2007

Chuck-

The MAP sensor measures absolute pressure, not gauge pressure -- MAP
means a Manifold Absolute Pressure.

They are all (at least all the variants I'm aware of) 5V sensors.
There will be 3 wires total on the connector.  The sensor is fed a
regulated 5.00 V (and it's pretty good) supply voltage from the ECM,
along with a sensor ground (not directly engine ground, chassis ground,
or any other ground) and they send back 1 signal to the ECM.  The
sensor itself is ratiometric (the output varies depending on the input)
so the pressure is calculated this way by the ECM code as well.  By
this I mean that a returned value of 4.00 V is not looked up directly,
but rather the ratio of the sensor signal to the reference voltage
4.00/5.00 is the basis of the calculation. In this manner, if the
reference voltage varies slightly (say 5.05V), it doesn't affect the
ultimate reading.  So, the transfer function will look something like
this:

Pressure = %Vref * SLOPE + INTERCEPT

Current Delphi MAP sensors use a slope of 126.6328 kPa/%Vref and and
intercept of 0.0156 kPa. Thus if you are at a standard sea level
atmospheric pressure of 101.3 kPa and feed the sensor 5.00V, you'll get
back 4.00 V.
101.3 = [(4.00/5.00) * 126.6328] + 0.0156.

Different manufacturers can have different transfer functions (slopes
and intercepts) though, so you need to see what you've got.  Also,
turbo sensors need to go to a lot higher pressure.  These are generally
either 2 bar (200 kPa) or 3 bar (300 kPa) sensors, rather than the 1
bar sensors used on naturally aspirated applications.  Whatever you
use, be sure to check the calibration and transfer function before you
actually use it.

You mentioned applications that mount them off-engine. You can do that,
but it is critical that the feedline to it be able to gravity drain
back into the intake manifold and not the sensor. Also, don't allow
a "U-trap" in the plumbing to the sensor for water to collect.

Hope that helps!

Jim Burkhard