<VV> Fw: My first Corvair

Kirk Johnson kjohnson2082 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 25 20:11:45 EDT 2007

It was 1965 and my Renault Daupine broke down for the last time.  I bought from Misle Chevrolet in Lincoln, NE a 1961 Corvair 500 four speed for $700.  It had a radio but I quickly converted to modern 8 track technology.  Also Walker fiberglass dual conversion.  I was my neighbor's alarm clock.  Once, when I did not go to school, he was late for work. I drove from Lincoln, NE to Milwaukee at least twice a month.  While at Marquette University, I filled the trunk with 6 cases of Old Milwaukee Heavy and ice.  We went to Doctor's Park with my rolling cooler and got several of my friends and I hammered.  Once, on a trip to Detroit I lost an axle bearing and did the Keystone cops thing.  When I went right the tire went left.  Caught the tire on fire.  It was repaired in some garage near Detroit.  I had  over 130000 miles when I upgraded to a 64 Monza 4 sp.  I have also owned an 65 Corsa 4 speed 140 which used to ice race on Lake Winnipeg during the winter.
 My current car is a 64 Rampside whose motor is almost rebuilt.  I drove to Kansas from Oregon but lost the cam gear rather  suddenly.