<VV> No Ermine White for 63 ??

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Mon Oct 29 06:05:59 EST 2007

I worked as a painter at a Studebaker dealer in the early sixties and at that time GM
was interested in keeping the Studebaker / Packard Corporation afloat!  Studebakers,
including the Avanti were painted with paint supplied by GM so their colors all matched
Chevy.  When a GM car was taken in trade that needed a little paint work we just used
the Studebaker supplied repair paints.

Studebaker had trouble with applying finish to the Fiber-glas Avanti.  They looked like
they had been rained on while the finish was still wet.  Every Avanti came from the
factory with a repaint order so I had to apply those same GM colors to every Avanti
sold by the two dealers which shared my time.

On the side, Chevrolet also supplied Studebaker with engines for the last years.  It was
possible to buy a high performance 327 across the counter from the Studebaker dealer
for less than the Chevy dealer could buy one from Chevrolet :-)

Ken Pepke