<VV> Club Success Strategies

tim mahler flat6vair at insightbb.com
Mon Oct 29 18:04:43 EST 2007

Define young.  I am young -- for the old car hobby.  But an old timer for
the college crowd.  Latest new members,  last 5 years -- 20, 68, 40s, 50s.

Members in my local chapter were in their 40s, 50s and 60s when the chapter
was founded 30 years ago; based on their approximate current age now -- one
member turn 90 this year,  was an excellent editor for 15 years from about
65-80.  Darn good newsletter too.

The Corvair has transformed from a driver, second car and part time show car
to a mostly a show car (and vintage racer) with a few still using it as a
daily driver.  I drive one of mine to most chapter meetings, because I can
and do not mind "the drafts"  I do mind the salt, so when the salt truck
come out,  the corvairs are parked.

Tech assistance -- the old timers and some of the newer members help if they
can.  Not every one in the chapter is a good Corvair mechanic.  Those who
can help.  Are limits.  Always helps if the car is taken to the mechanic vs
trying to drag the mechanic to the car -- that applies to modern cars as
well.

CORSA has tried to subsidize new memberships for many years.  I think the
results are mixed at best.

Raising money is only an issue if expenses are not being met.   Larger clubs
have larger expenses because need to rent larger meeting places.  smaller
clubs can make do at a resturant or other club locale.  We meet at a
community center   a 50/50 raffle pays the rent.

just some thoughts

the Chapter mailing list may have more thoughts than VV.  I've cc'd them.

tim mahler
Prairie Capital Corvair Assn. ,  editor, past officer,  youngster (at heart)