<VV> '61 Monza Brakes

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Oct 29 21:46:00 EST 2007

I am also a proponent of bench bleeding, but he already has a stream at
the wheel cylinders.

I have to ask:

Did you tighten the bleeder screws while somebody else was pressing the
brake pedal? i.e. tighten the bleeder screw WHILE the pedal is being
pushed, not after it reaches the floor.

You can buy a brass plug that fits the output of the master cylinder at
the parts store. Something like a 1/4" inverted flare plug. Screw this
into the master cylinder and see if the pedal is VERY firm. It should
be. If not, short stroke the pedal and see if it gets hard. This is
bench bleeding in place. If it gets hard and then goes to the floor
again with the plug in place, something is bypassing in the master
cylinder. Is the rubber seal (washer looking) in place waay down inside
the cylinder? Are there now two seals? Remove one...

If this test passes, then there should be fluid flowing on the floor
from a break in the line if all the air is out of the system. The brake
drums are installed? Silly question, but you never know.....

Are you two person bleeding, Mighty Vac vacuum bleeding or rubber hose
and bottle bleeding (old one man bleeder)? All these work fine. Teflon
tape has been needed on the last few bleeder screws (new cylinders) to
acheive a seal while Mighty Vac bleeding in my case.

Frank DuVal