<VV> trouble spots on early convertibles

Blaine Sanders utvairs at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 18:33:01 EST 2007

Hi all!

First, let me publicly thank everyone that has responded to my questions recently.  I don't always have the time to respond to each one individually.

Second, let me ask another question. :)
This weekend I will be traveling to pick up my first Corvair convertible -- a '64.  The seller has assured me it is absolutely rust free, with the exception of a small spot in the driver's floor pan.  It hasn't seen the light of day for almost 20 years, and prior to that it was always a desert car -- so I believe it.  However, I want to make sure it's structurally sound before I hand over my hard-earned bills.

Where should I look?  What should I be looking for?  If the price were $1000, what would be bad enough that I should walk away?  Or in other words, is there anything that renders a convertible worthless (or good for parts only)?

Looking forward to being back behind the wheel of the best car GM ever made!

Thanks again,
Blaine