<VV> 64 speedo

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 31 11:04:35 EST 2007

Sounds to me as if it is about to fail.  The interior cable portion (the
part that turns) has likely developed some broken strands.  They catch and
then release as the cable turns - making the needle on the speedo head read
erratically.  You might be able to get away with just a new (interior)
cable, but you probably also have damage to the outer housing, so it may be
smarter to just replace the whole thing.

Now the question comes, what caused this?  Well, old age plays a role for
certain.  You do want to turn the speedometer by hand with the cable
removed, maybe even give a shot of WD40 up into the hole where the cable
attaches.  See if the speedo is registering OK and turn far enough to see
that the odo is also working OK.  Does everything feel smooth?  The thing
is, if the speedo is broken, that might be the cause of a broken cable.

Good luck with it.

Later, JR

CCE CORVANANTICS CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater 500 Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)