<VV> car values

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 13:50:28 EST 2007

I think we all know the value of our Corvairs is to be found with us, their owners, not in the marketplace. But, we've all heard of the spectacular prices some of the muscle cars have allegedly brought at auction.  The New York Times today has an article that pretty much dispels that.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/automobiles/collectibles/28WORST.html

If the link doesn't work well for you, here's an example:

982-91 PORSCHE 944 The years have not been kind to the values of Porsches from the 1980s. As an investment by an original buyer, the saddest case of all may be the 944, a front-engine water-cooled 4-cylinder car that followed the tepid 924 in both design and execution. At introduction, the 944 cost $18,980. Today, one in good condition is worth $4,100, according to Kelley Blue Book.

None of this is to say there isn't the village idiot who bids an exorbitant amount in the heat of the auction, but by-in-large even a down stock market, over time, will do better.

None of this is to say what a Corvair is worth to its owner. I, personally, have a "for sale" figure that is beyond reason, but that's because it's based on what the car is worth to me in terms of enjoyment and fellowship.

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza convert