<VV> New PG Questions

Jim Briggs jim_a_b3 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 15:55:36 EDT 2007

I just put my rear engine V8 Corsa "on the ground" for the first time last
week end. And it seems to have some PG or Shifter issues.

First the backround...This is a fresh rebuilt PG built for HP
application...machined drum, extra clutches, etc. It also has a Hughes high
stall converter. This shifter is a standard shifter mechanism moved to a
console position between the buckets which requires the stock cable to loop
around inside the console to meet the shifter mechanism. The detents in the
mechamisn itself feel firm and smooth and not hard to move the shifter
handle. I have not yet connected the neutral safety switch set up.

Symptoms;  With the shifter in the neutral position it will start up and rev
as it should. then when moving the shifter toward reverse it will engage
reverse firmly (not excessively hard) before the shifter has engaged the
reverse detent in the shifter. It will then carry has reverse (engaged into
the neutral position. Sometimes drive will not engage until the shifter
reached the Low detent. Sometimes Drive seems to be engaged in the correct
detent but I caan not feel low engage. In fact in the couple times I took it
down the block I did not feel a 1-2 shift. Also if I try to bring the
shifter into the bottom side of the low detent the RPM's flair and I have to
find  neutral to release it back to idle.

I would appreciate any and all help as automatics are not my forte. Has it
already broken an E-clip?
Is the internal shift position piston thinggy out of adjustment?  Solutions?
  I was hoping to keep this  new toy off the jackstands for a
while...but...it doesn't look that way.

Thanks Much,
Jim Briggs
66 Corsa V8 that does not yet move quite as good as it sounds.