<VV> Electric Fuel Pumps vs Diaphragm

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Sep 2 00:34:54 EDT 2007

I have run both for years.

Only some of the mechanicals will leak into the engine before it leaks
externally. There was a Communique article a while back showing the
difference in bottom castings. I would avoid the problem castings.

I only installed electrics to band-aid a vapor lock problem. They did
well in this duty.

I install new mechanicals if the old ones leak or stop pumping fuel.
These are probably the quickest to replace fuel pumps on any car ever
built. I would not install an electric pump just to solve the leaking
problem.

I do not recall ever having to change oil after a fuel pump started
leaking. Only one local  club member ever reported wiping bearings from
a failed fuel pump.

Poll time:

A. How many people have first hand knowledge of engine failure from
leaking fuel pumps?
B. What percentage of Corvairs you know had this engine damage?

Statistics-what a wonderful way to prove any point!

Frank DuVal