<VV> Electric Fuel Pumps vs Diaphragm

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 2 03:23:30 EDT 2007

What, China made?

Get the GM (AC Delco) ones and/or what our regular Vair Vendors market since
they have a limited audience and don't want to get us upset.  Yes, I've had
mechanical pumps fail but the leak is usually to the outside.  If you are
checking your oil level at each gas stop, even a leak (RARE) into the
crankcase will be caught before there is internal damage to the engine.

To change the stock pump in under 15 minutes, disconnect the feed line from
the tank at the pump, loosen the pointy bolt which holds the pump in place,
unscrew (from the pump) the nipple which comes from the T block (the split
to the carbs) by turning the pump over and over.  Install fresh pump -
reverse the order.  DONE in 5 to 10.  15 if you never did it before.

What, you don't have a line wrench packed with your spare pump?  Shame.

There are issues with electric pumps, too!  I'm not going to debate!

Below is what I had sent to John, but forgot to hit reply ALL.

John,  That one is essentially a can of worms.  You will find strong
opinions on both sides of the issue.  Personally, I'm in the stock pump
camp.  Warning sign for fuel in the oil?  The oil seems to "grow" in volume
and the dipstick smells of gasoline.  Always check your oil at fuel stops.

Part of message I'm responding to....

Spare tire had TWO failed FLAPS fuel pumps in it,
with a third on the motor

Later, JR