<VV> Electric Fuel Pumps vs Diaphragm

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Sun Sep 2 21:15:41 EDT 2007

Hi,

I prefer diaphragms to electric because, IMHO, the diaphragms are easier to replace and, with a quality mechanical fuel pump, last a long time. I have never had a problem with a mechanical fuel pump. However, I have discovered a situation where an electic fuel pump has an advantage over a mechanical pump: vapor lock. This summer I have experience two instances of vapor lock with the 140 hp engine, mechanical fuel pump,?in my 62 sedan. Because of the vapor lock I am thinking that I might install and electric pump. The engine in my 66 Porvair has not exhibited any signs of vapor lock, and it has an electric fuel pump. Just a thought.

Joe White (62 sedan, 66 Porvair)
CORSA, RMC