<VV> lead additive

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Sep 4 10:38:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/3/2007 9:11:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mhicks130 at cox.net forwarded:

>  I've always been under the impression that I needed the lead additive for
my  64 Spyder.  Now someone says not so.  Do I or don't I?  It is  not
expensive but every little bit helps.
>  *******************************************

No, you don't.  And  you never did.  As previously stated, it's the hardened
valve seats that  make that so.  The water coolers of the day had the seats
machined into  the cast iron head - softer than ours (but they don't fall out).

Lead  is also used to increase octane so you do still need to make sure
you're not  pinging with the gas you use.

mikeH

Mike is correct. Corvairs never needed "Lead" additives. What you have been
adding is a Lead substitute additive. Those additives are needed for the 60's
cars with the fore-mentioned valve seat recession problems. The lead acts  as
a cushion for the valve when returning to the softer cast iron seats. Later
cast iron heads used hardened areas to prevent it. Our Corvairs use separate,
harder, seats installed in the aluminum head (as do all other aluminum head
motors). The cushion isn't needed for our motors. The original lead added to
motors since the 1940s (30s?) was intended to raise the effective octane of
the  gasoline by retarding combustion speed - limiting spark knock - on higher
compression motors. Current all-out racing gasolines still use similar
additives, all toxic to catalytic converters, that is why street use is  restricted.
You can buy unleaded gasoline at well over 100 octane, I think  104 is the
highest I have seen, but economics prevent general distribution of  them. Racers
that still are required to run converters use them. The  Corvair motors -
with the possible exception of the 80HP motor - prefer higher  octane gas. I have
always used 91 Octane - The California equivalent of the 92  Octane in most
places. If your car will run well on 87 octane, do it. If not, go  up until it
is happy. - Seth Emerson