<VV> Surprises

Bill Kronen billpat at telusplanet.net
Wed Sep 5 10:25:53 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone,
Had a surprise or two on Labor Day when we got the 63 Spyder vert up on
a hoist.  It was up there to replace the left side valve cover gasket
which required a helicoil in one of the bolt holes.  Since its been
getting harder to shift and making some noise we wanted to replace the
bushings in the shifter tube....but there was no tube.  Inside the
tunnel the whole shifter rod moves back and forth for gear selection. Is
this a normal installation on this car? a modification?  Decided the
noise is a release bearing anyway so some major work over the winter.
Also some very leaky axle seals at the diff which also appears to be a
major job.  Glad I have my experienced car guy  mechanic nearby.  Any
encouragement or direction?  Something else we should be doing once we
get into the major stuff.?  Suggestions always appreciated and evaluated.
Bill Kronen
Rocky Mt. House, Alberta