<VV> unsteady tachometer

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Thu Sep 6 21:17:21 EDT 2007

On Feb 6, 2008, at 8:32 PM, John Gull wrote:

> I have a 66 Corsa -140 where the Tachometer bounces around in the
> higher RPM
> ranges but it is very stead at low RPM. There can be a 500 variance
> and so I
> am wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and what the
> remedy is?

John,

This sounds like a bad ground on the points plate. The symptoms are a
tach needle that is erratic, moving a bit. The solution is a Vega point
plate. I tried soldering a ground wire onto the points plate, but the
Vega plate is the ticket as it is grounded better. I'm pretty sure it's
a Vega plate, it's been a long time ago. Mine used to move, maybe 200 -
300 rpm up or down. I don't think mine moved 500 rpm. I'm sure you'll
get some other ideas too.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
President, CORSA South Carolina