<VV> computer geek help

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Sep 7 21:52:01 EDT 2007

At 12:58 PM 9/7/2007, Bruce Schug wrote:
>On Sep 7, 2007, at 12:01 AM, Mark Corbin wrote:
>
>*SNIP*
>
>>What I AM stuck with is a sometimes backwoods power supply company, and
>>being extremely rural, it's prone to power spikes and drops.
>
>*SNIP*
>
>Mark,
>
>Something you may be interested in looking into would be a UPS - an
>Uninterruptable Power Supply. This is a box that you plug the
>computer into, which, in turn, plugs into the outlet. It's a bit
>like a super surge protector. If there is a spike or a dip or a
>complete loss of power, the UPS will keep your power going perfectly.

Just as a note...

I have on occasion seen a defective or intermittent memory module/RAM
cause unexpected nuisance rebooting although it usually simply causes
a hangup, gotta press the reset button to get out of it.   I do agree
that power supply fluctuations can also cause nuisance rebooting as
well.   If there's an incandescent lamp close by, you might also spot
a "blink" if this is caused by incoming AC fluctuations.   That's
where the UPS comes in.

Voltage drops can cause it; voltage spikes, not so much.   Most PC
power supplies can tolerate over 250 volts input.   But a voltage
drop will cause them to dip bigtime.

tony..