<VV> The New Corvair

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sat Sep 8 15:06:48 EDT 2007

the Mustnag also enjoyed a few other things:

Low cost, mass produced components.
First to market. NEVER underestimate the value of this one!
A wide range of models to cover a wide range of pocketbooks and tastes.

If GM stuck to the rear engine formula, (tough to do given the relatively
high production costs of the Corvair), today's car would have a water cooled
engine (like Porsche did, and for the same reasons) and maybe THAT would be a
way to get more commonality with the rest of GM's engines. V6 and V8 options
would sure be nice. So would a more durable range of transaxles, although they
could still be based on existing front engined transmissions. No doubt a
Corvette C5 or C6 tranny could be retooled for rear engine duty.

The Fiero was nearly the right kind of car, but it was made TOO cheaply. I
would guess if the 1984 models were designed like the 1988 models, that car may
 still be with us! But mid engine limits the model range, rather a lot.

In a message dated 9/8/2007 1:01:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,