<VV> So called "Super Spyder " on ebay

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Sep 10 13:23:36 EDT 2007

At 03:11 PM 9/9/2007, Bruce Schug wrote:
>On Sep 9, 2007, at 5:55 PM, Corsa wrote:
>
>>Well
>>The well traveled custom early convertible is for sale again. It is
>>being called the "super spyder" but actually has no relation to the
>>"REAL" Super Spyders built by GM as show cars. The story they have
>>in the ad is a total bunch of Baloney. It is a nicely done custom
>>by a former owner, but is certainly not a GM built show car. I hate
>>it when blatantly false info is used to advertise a car.
>>It is not 1 of 2 made by GM!!! Its obviously cobbled together,
>>using parts from several different year Corvairs. The split bumpers
>>are obviously cut downs, the "Super" in the super spyder script
>>emblems is cut down from a stock "Spyder" emblem. 140 emblen from a
>>66-69 model as well as a late model 140 engine. etc etc!! Someone
>>should set them straight, but I doubt they would listen. The car is
>>probably worth more if some unsuspecting buyer thinks its some one
>>off custom show car from GM, instead of owner modified car that it
>>is. I've seen many shortened early models, the body line allows
>>this modification. This one is done well, but I want those on the
>>list to be aware it is not a real GM showcar.

This is the "Hughes Car" custom.   It's certainly not a GM product
any farther than being a Corvair and in fact is a rather decently
done mod job.

By the way, I was under the impression that this car began life as a
'64 and is not actually '63.   It has an Arizona reconstructed
vehicle VIN which says nothing.

This car lives not far from me and I've spoken to the current owner
several times, whenever the car shows up at the local
cruise-in.    He's convinced that it's a GM concept vehicle and one
of the "two" Super-Spyders built for the show circuit.    The guy is
working from what he was told and he wants so much to believe it that
he's ready to stand by every word he repeats from what he was told by
the former owner.    I suspect it helps justify what he paid for the
car when he bought it.

...this car seems to acquire more and more "mystique" each and every
time it changes hands.   Next time it shows up for sale, I almost
expect to hear that it transported the kidnapped Lindberg Baby.

It's not a GM concept nor is it any sort of "Super Spyder" (which is
by the way composed of primarily fiberglass) other than the
fabricated badges.   It *is* a nice custom...  which still shows some
flaws in concept such as the convertible top bow that still shows the
notches for the top latches although this car has no top.   The
original battery box in the engine bay has been covered with a piece
of sheet metal, secured with several spots of brazing or MIG
welds...  OK for a custom driver, but like the top latch notches,
it's the sort of thing that the guys at the Ad-Hoc facility would
*Never* have allowed out the door.    Likewise the fabricated badges
and emblems, some of which are easily identified as belonging to
1970s vintage Chevrolets.

By the way, that tonneau cover is nicely done, is metal and not
'glass, and perfectly formed.   Whoever put this car together did
know what they were doing.   It's a pretty well done car for a
custom, but a concept car it's not.   I spoke to Wade at the CPF
Museum about this, to see if he knew anything about it and what I
learned was that some years ago a fellow from "out west" had
corresponded with the museum about obtaining dimensions and details
etc of the real Super-Spyder which was at the museum at that time,
evidently for the purpose of building themselves a companion-piece
car to the Super-Spyder.

It's possible (likely) that this particular custom Corvair is the result.

...and that mileage figure as listed is evidently what has
accumulated since the car was completed a few years ago, and
certainly not the actual mileage on the vehicle.    Hell, it's not
even an original Spyder, just a modified Monza coupe if the rear cove
sheet metal is any indication.

In any event, it's gonna be interesting to see what the car brings...
or if it meets reserve.    The present owner is rather proud of this
vehicle.    Somebody looking for a nifty (albeit not all that
practical) custom may spend some bucks on it, but a Corvair person
will know what it actually is and will spend nowhere nearly what an
original genuine GM concept car would bring at auction.

tony..