Best ever, was: <VV> Will it never end! - the bad

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 11 12:36:01 EDT 2007

What a great idea! Here's my list for the best cars ever:

1) '67 Corvair Monza 4door hardtop - Perfect styling from any angle, and
the most options of any LM year, plus those comfy Astro buckets fit my
bucket.
2) '67 Lincoln convertable - just because of the suicide doors, oh, and
yes, the styling.
3) '56 DeSoto 4door hardtop - my grandma had the sedan version, but I
prefer the hardtop because of styling and the neat two-section rear door
glass, "gee, my old DeSoto ran great!" to paraphrase the song.
4) '63 Mercury Breezway - it's the car that turned me into a motorhead (I
love innovation), even if the '64 was even better looking.
5) '63 Chevy Impala - no doubt one of THE nicest styled full-sized Chevy's
ever (across the full model line, which is remarkable), though the '66 line
comes in a tossup for me.
6) '74 AMC Matador 2door sedan - I don't care what anyone says, I like it's
styling, and at a time that companies were fixing 2door sedans' rear
quarter windows, the Matador's rear quarter windows rolled down, plus for a
sedan, it had hardtop doors (no window header).
7) '88 Fiero GT - just 'cause I have a soft spot for the car, after all,
it's got the engine in the right end of the car, and plastic skins don't
rust.
8) '69 Mercury Cougar - styling made Cougar one of the best-looking of all
the ponycars (and Mercury always did have better styling than Ford), love
the sequential turn signals in back, and it was available in a convertable.
9) '73-4 VW 412 - A somewhat LM Corvair knockoff styling job, plus 4doors,
and the best air-cooled rear engine VW made, great 3-speed fully automatic
trans, could flog it or drive like grandma and still get a consistant
25mpg, even though mine was totally undependable below 20 degrees.
10) first generation GM minivans (the ones I call the All Plastic Van) -
simply because there is no exposed sheet metal (I hate rust) anywhere
except the engine compartment and underneath, even the door jambs are
no-rust plastic, despite the driveline on mine being junk (weak tranny,
unreliable Buick engine).

Note that even though on the last two cars, I owned examples of lemons, I
don't hold that against the entire vehicle's production. Everyone's
entitled to make a lemon once in a while, even RR (and they actually DID.
At least once, anyway, though they won't admit it.) I like innovation.

Also, with a lot of them, I am a sucker for great styling - isn't everyone?
Remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though. On the last
one, while not UGLY, the windshield was merely an oddity that you just had
to get used to.

-Mark

Single