PG Turbos?? Re: <VV> Re: TURBO BENT VANES

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Sep 11 15:33:42 EDT 2007

At 08:17 AM 9/11/2007, FrankCB at aol.com wrote:

>Tim,
>     Actually, you CAN have Corvair turbos WITH  powerglides.  I think it was
>Billy Bruce who ran his turbo PG at the  dragstrip at the Louisville, KY
>Convention and set the FTD of around 13 seconds  for the quarter mile.  And
>personally I think turbos are a GREAT match with  automatic
>transmissions.  How else
>can you make boost even BEFORE  the car begins to move??  Just remember when
>you do this you're dumping  lots of HP into the auto trans fluid which raises
>its temp VERY fast.   Better use synthetic ATF.

There's another thing to consider with a turbocharged engine behind a
Powerglide:

It's easy to stand on the brake and gas at the same time which allows
a LOT of boost to build fast, while stalling the converter which not
only heats the ATF up *Right Now*, it heats up the engine just as
fast, as in REAL fast.   Sure, it launches the car hard...

But do this on a regular basis and a month later it's gonna be
blowing blue smoke out the tailpipe, seen it happen more than
once.   Running a 'Vair engine behind a Powerglide will work out IF
you're careful.   If you go romping on it "regular" via stalling the
converter at lights, the engine won't last very long even if it's
done up with "all the good stuff".   Again, seen it happen.   You'll
*Have* to be very careful about those stall-starts; it's very rough
on the engine and the transmission.

...there was a reason the Spyder and turbo Corsas weren't available
with a Powerglide transmission.   ;)

tony..