<VV> Turbo 350 Hydromatic was Slated for Corvair Application

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Tue Sep 11 23:18:49 EDT 2007

Following is a link to a Wikipedia entry, which makes an argument the 350
tranny, had the Corvair line continued into the 70s, would have made its way
into the Corvair.

 "...One important difference in the THM 350 compared to the THM 400  is
there is no fixed center support midway through the gear train, this  important
difference in layout permitted THM 350 to be adapted to the Corvair  where the
drive and driven ends are the same. This feature was not exploited but  Corvair
may have eventually used the THM 350 had it remained in  production..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic

Has anyone explored the possibility of using a 350 tranny in a Corvair
application. Is the direction of rotation correct. Size issues? Other  hurtles to
overcome? Later 350s came with a lock up converter... that would  be nice, as
would the extra gear.

I'm not just dreaming here; I've been know to invest considerable  dollars
into my Vairs to effect useful modernization and improve reliability;  I'm
hoping for serious answers from those knowledgeable in this area of  discussion.
What are the chances a 350 hydro could be made to work in a  late model?

Mike Mauro