<VV> '66-'69 Locking Gas Cap Question

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Sep 12 14:15:10 EDT 2007

At 08:11 PM 9/11/2007, Eric Prosise wrote:

>My "new" '66 Corsa came with a factory locking gas cap installed, and NO KEY!
>
>1. Does anyone know how many different key codes there were for these?
>2. Any secrets on how to remove one, without the key (and preferably
>not damaging the filler neck)?

Small "medium duty" dent puller... pop out the lock cylinder,
followed by a simple screwdriver.   Of course you'll need a new gas
cap afterwards.

Or, if there's enough fuel in the car to get there, go to a local
locksmith.    Twice I've taken an early model 'Vair that had no keys,
but the switch was unlocked, to a local locksmith who brought out a
bucket full of "try" keys (the fellow had other buckets filled with
"try" keys for Fords, Chryslers, imports etc) and one by one started
sticking them into the ignition switch until he found one that
worked, whereupon he used that key to make duplicates.   Probably
will be cheaper than the dent puller and purchase of a new gas cap.

tony..