<VV> $51,000 Spyder

Rodney Spooner corvairenterprises at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 22:55:11 EDT 2007

Has anyone been able to verify it?

  I say, if true, congratulations to the seller and the buyer! If nothing else, it spotlights the Corvair in a very good way. The seller got top dollar and the buyer got a trophy piece American automotive history.

  Let’s remember and remind everyone that the 1960 Corvair was Motor Trend's "Car of the Year!" It was critically road tested and favorably reviewed by many independent automotive experts in nearly every automotive magazine yet it has been, and still remains, maligned and stigmatized as "unsafe" because of one chapter from one book by a self-serving young attorney trying to make a name for himself (and who never owned a car or possessed a driver's license.)

  Recently, there has been a media blitz regurgitating the same pathological Corvair myth without performing the most remedial investigation to report the truth. I first learned of it here on VV and I immediately e-mailed my response which appeared on the website along with many of yours. Shortly after the first article hit the wires, the same (or variations thereof) article started appearing in other magazines including the likes of BusinessWeek and now TIME.

  I have come to the conclusion that when the story first hit the wires, the resulting response was overwhelming and must have increased $ale$!

  What I’ve found seemingly curious and interesting is the fact that the first article about "The 50 Worst Cars" was the most uninformed and negative about the Corvair. The flood of subsequent articles seemed less and less negative and nasty in tone and increasingly more discerning and embracing albeit their facts still need our enlightenment.

  The Corvair has always been under rated as a collector car when it is certainly one of the most significant achievements in American automotive history. Over the past few years we’ve been witnessing the “ugly Corvairling” turning into a thing of desire. Within the past few years, a Corvair has won at least two notable and very prestigious concours events. Corvairs have been commanding higher prices at prestigious auction houses and on eBay. Most recently. Hemmings featured the Corvair on the cover and feature article. Disney Company bought a late model Corvair convertible from a member of our club to feature in their production “What About Brian.” And last but not least, I’ve heard a great rumor that Jay Leno may be the proud owner of a Corvair convertible (although I had heard he was in the market for a Yenko.)

  So it would come as no surprise to me that the right Corvair at the right place at the right time could command $51,000. Has anyone verified that yet?

  Vairy truly yours,
  Rodney Spooner
  Corvair Society of America (CORSA) member since April 2002
  Inland Empire Corvair Club (CORSA Chapter 925) member since April 2002

  If true, congratulations to the seller!

I will be glad to sell my really nice 63 Monza vert for $25,000.

Just proves what old PT Barnum said

Mike in Michigan