<VV> Turbo 350 Hydromatic was Slated for Corvair Application

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Wed Sep 12 16:13:46 EDT 2007

Might be worth casting a larger net and look at some of the newer 4 speed
automatics in the same light. For one thing, most 4 speed autos have an
overdrive 4th.
You know, like the Miata tranny, etc. Get one from something earlier than
that, it might even have a non electronic valve body!

In a message dated 9/12/2007 11:40:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tonyu at roava.net writes:

At 08:18  PM 9/11/2007, Mikeamauro at aol.com wrote:
>Following is a link to a  Wikipedia entry, which makes an argument the 350
>tranny, had the  Corvair line continued into the 70s, would have made its way
>into the  Corvair.
>
>  "...One important difference in the THM 350  compared to the THM 400  is
>there is no fixed center support  midway through the gear train,
>this  important
>difference  in layout permitted THM 350 to be adapted to the
>Corvair  where  the
>drive and driven ends are the same. This feature was not exploited
>but  Corvair
>may have eventually used the THM 350 had it  remained in   production..."
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo-Hydramatic
>
>Has  anyone explored the possibility of using a 350 tranny in a  Corvair
>application. Is the direction of rotation correct. Size  issues?

Well...  supposedly a prototype of this transmission was  originally
fitted to "Pinky", the 1960 convertible companion to the 1960
Super-Monza currently in the CPF museum.  According to someone on
this list, that transmission/transaxle still exists although "Pinky"
itself was scrapped long ago.    I'd sure like to get a look at  that
transmission...

The TH-350 would likely work the same way the  Powerglide works,
obviously no rotation issues if it's fed the same way  the 'Vair
Powerglide is fed, via a hollow mainshaft etc.

I would  wager that the TH-350 could be made to work if modified in a
similar  manner as the BW T5 gearbox that's been fitted to  Corvairs.