<VV> Moving forward on the '65 hardtop repair and repainting

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 13 00:28:48 EDT 2007

	I've located a '66 Corsa in a junkyard that will be a suitable donor
for the repair of my '65 hardtop.  I will need to cut the right side
fender and front clip (area behind the bumper) all the way to the
seam above the lights on the driver's side.  I may consider taking
the left fender, too, if it doesn't add too much to the price so that
the body shop can cut exactly where they want.  I have a couple of
questions.  First, they will charge $50 to do the cutting and move
the parts to the front of the lot.  That sounds reasonable IF they
know what they are doing, but that is not a given and my instincts
tell me that I should at least be there to direct the cutting.
	If I were to try to do it myself (never done any heavy body cutting
before on ANY car) how hard would this be on a scale of one to ten,
and what would I need to accomplish it?  I thought of cutting right
below the windshield, along the wheel well inside the trunk, along
the floor of the trunk, and back along the wheel well to the
windshield.  I know that I would have to be extremely careful not to
cut near the gas tank, but I don't know what kinds of other problem
areas I would be coming close to.
	The car also has an intact windshield minus the trim that should be
fairly easily removed (tricks to remove would be appreciated).  It
also has a 140 that is more than likely frozen up (will take a wrench
to check for sure Saturday) although it doesn't look too bad and has
all of the carbs and air cleaner cover.  What would be a cheap offer
on the engine?   Although I wouldn't be interested, it has a factory
condensor and compressor.  It's too bad that it is in the condition
that it is (interior dash gutted), rot in the usual places, and is
not likely to ever be restored as it was apparently a nice example at
one time.

Stephen U