<VV> Moving forward on the '65 hardtop repair and repainting

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Sep 13 08:32:19 EDT 2007

You need the body shop to tell the parts supplier where to cut. You can
act as intermediary and take the cut information from the shop to the
parts supplier, but you need the shop to decide how much they want to
replace, and where they will find it easier to cut and replace. Factory
seams are the best, but sometimes are not the easiest places to do the work.

To cut the part yourself, most yards do not allow torches anymore. You
need an abrasive blade in something like a K-12 rescue saw. If
electricity is available ( or you have a good battery powered version)
use a metal abrasive blade in a circular saw. The bigger the better to
cut through frame rail areas. The donor vehicle gas tank should be
removed first!!!!! Sparks are uncontrollable with these methods. Battery
powered Saws-All might work, but will take a while. Less sparks this way.

Sounds restorable to me, but I'm on the east coast!

Frank DuVal