<VV> input shaft seal removal

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun Sep 16 22:45:11 EDT 2007

<snip>

I'm  trying to get the bloody thing out and it won't budge.  I've read

the  warnings about prying on the outer shaft, so I'm not doing that,

but I have  tried a clothes hanger hook, and a hillbilly slide hammer

made of an old  head stud and big socket, but it won't move.

Any suggestions  appreciated.

-        Ian <unsnip>

Here's what I do and it only takes about 5-10 seconds:  I take a regular
slide hammer with about a #12 sheet metal screw mounted in the end. (This is
what people used to use to pull dents in auto sheet metal).  Place the point
of the screw on the metal area of the seal, as close to the outside as the
screw will permit. Use the slide to pound the tip of the screw into the seal
until it makes a hole and then rotate the hammer handle to turn the screw
into the seal.  Once the screw is in a turn or two, use the hammer to yank
the seal out.  It all takes much less time to do than it takes to read about
it.

Clean and simple.

Craig Nicol