<VV> Concerns about using the latest rated oil in pushrod

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sun Sep 16 23:01:12 EDT 2007

At 22:05 9/16/07 -0400, Mark Noakes wrote:

>I've seen this topic discussed quite a few times in the last year or
>two and also have seen the same sites referenced, but what are people
>actually using for oil in daily driver vintage cars that might see a
>lot of miles?

 >>snip<<

>So for people that are high mileage vair drivers that are not seeing
>cam wear, what do you buy and where do you buy?

We typically put about 3000-6000 miles per year on our Corvairs (wife's '65
Monza, our '65 Greenbrier; both 110/4)  I change the oil once a year or
5000 miles whichever comes first with Amsoil 10W-30/SAE 30 Heavy Duty
Diesel Oil, which is CI-4+/CF/CF-2/SL rated for older gas and diesel
engines.  The product code is ACD. This seems to be the "perfect" oil for
the Corvair.

List price is still less than $6/qt, but it is only available in gallon
bottles.

We also use it in most of our other 4-stroke power equipment, including my
Dad's Kubota B3030 tractor.

I do not know about this specific product, but Amsoil products are being
sold at a lot more retail outlets lately and are an option at many
quick-lube shops.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI