<VV> Master Cylinder

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Sep 17 00:05:03 EDT 2007

I always bench bleed a master. It is simple. Just did a single using my
gloved hand to cover the outlet, and screwdriver to press the piston
while holding it in my hand (no workbench or vise used!).

The purpose of bench bleeding is to remove the air from the master
cylinder. If you do this, and the entire brake system was full of fluid
before you removed the master, you can bolt the bled master on, attach
the output lines (one if single, two if dual cylinder), leave the lines
just cracked, make sure the cylinder is full, have a helper press the
pedal to the floor slowly, (did I mention having rags and newspaper to
catch the fluid that runs out?) and you tighten the lines when the fluid
flows. Doing it this way usually avoids having to bleed any wheel
cylinders. Always a good choice in the rusty east! Of course if the
brake pedal is not firm and high, you may still have to bleed the system
or other trouble shooting.

To bleed a single master, like was original equipment on your 66, close
the output port. You can use a gloved (nitrile is my choice now) hand or
a plug. Or, some replacement cylinders come with a plastic tube that
screws into the port. Put maybe an inch of fluid in the reservoir and
push the piston (with screwdriver) all the way down until fluid comes
out the port. Once fluid comes out of the port (may take a second push)
close the port (hand or plug). Now short stroke (barely push) the piston
and watch for bubbles coming out of the small hole in the reservoir.
Keep short stroking until the bubbles go away and a stream of fluid
comes out of the small hole. Keep adding fluid to keep at least a 1/2"
in the reservoir. It will go down as the fluid replaces the air in the
cylinder.

That's it.

Those who do not wear glasses should be warned to wear safety glasses to
keep flying fluid out of the  eyes.

Frank DuVal