<VV> '61 Fresh Air Plenum

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Tue Sep 18 13:01:00 EDT 2007

Corvairs could be equipped with a "Heater Delete" option (often done in
warmer climates), in which case not only would the engine top shroud be
blocked off but also the lower shrouds, all the holes in the car for the
heater hoses, and the heater motor and plenum would be missing, as well as
the heater control, cables, and wiring.  If this is the condition of your
car you will have nothing to hook up a hose to (and if this is indeed what
your car is like, please send me the Fisher Body tag information or better
yet, a clear photo of it as it will help us in our quest to decipher the
accessory codes)

However, more than likely, somebody just blocked off the upper shroud.  The
primary reason: many people feel that the "fresh air" outlet off the upper
shroud robs the engine of essential cooling air (especially cylinder #5)
leading to early engine failure.  Besides, you can always get cool fresh air
by opening the kick panel vents, so it is not really necessary.  If you have
a "fresh air heater" and the air coming out of the floor vents is too hot
when you use the "heat" control (and it will be, if all your hoses,
thermostats, etc. are working properly!), just open the kick panel vent a
bit and you will get a nice mix of air (except on hot days of course, but
then why would you be using your heater?)

Bill Hubbell