<VV> RE: Lookiing for FC wheel rims

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 11:57:59 EDT 2007

The data point that FC's had special rims designed for ball joint clearance
is new to me and very interesting.

A couple of related questions: Early FCs had front suspension that was based
on one Chevrolet model and later FCs had suspension based on another model.
I vaguely recall that earlier ones were based on passenger car/Corvette
stuff and later ones were based on pickup parts (or was it vice versa?)
Corvettes are definitely involved and that's why ebay ball joint auctions
involve FCs and Corvettes.  Note that Corvette suspension design changed
between 62/3 and so did FCs. Did FC suspension change because the Corvette
parts were phased out? Did both early and late FCs require the special rim
profile?

My other point/question: All GM wheel rims of that era had a certain profile
to the inside rim.  This profile is now referred to as a "drum brake wheel".
In the late 60's somewhere, a new inner rim profile was introduces and that
new profile provided clearance for the then-new disc brake.  These are known
today as "disc brake rims" and AFIK this profile is what we have seen in the
aftermarket for the last 30 years.  I have a set of 14" Rally II wheels
(Nova) that were used on an FC for many years and these have the "disc
brake" profile.

I suspect that any "disc brake" rim will fit the later FCs and possibly the
earlier models as well.  Note that not all rims are not made with the three
mounting knobs for the "poverty" hub caps, so you have to watch for that
too.

Has anyone tried a disc brake wheel on an early (61-2) FC?  Did both early
and late FCs require the special rim profile?

Craig (now you have me thinking) Nicol