<VV> RE: Lookiing for FC wheel rims

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 15:41:38 EDT 2007

In 1970, both drum and disc brake wheels were provided by GM so it’s still
possible that a disc brake wheel would fit. My ‘75ish Rally II wheels (that
fit an FC well) are an example.  OTOH, when I put a set of ’72 Monte Carlo
15” steel/urethane rims on my ’65 GB and I had to manufacture 1/4” shims and
longer wheel studs in order for them to clear the tie rod.  Those wheels
were likely disc brake rims.  Seems like a good research project for a
communiqué article

Craig

<snip>

On the '64 FCs it is the Tie Rod end that rubs on the inside of an incorrect
rim.  When I got mine, I didnt notice that the rear wheels were different
than the front wheels (all were 14" with 195/70-14 tires) until I put one of
the rears on the front, snugged the lugnuts by hand and then went to spin
the wheel to be sure the brakes werent rubbing.  I couldnt spin the wheel,
it was firmly pressed against the tie rod end.  That wheel had the yellow
paint marker note on the inside that said "'70 Oldsmobile".

Everett Wilson

North Richland Hills TX

BBRT <chsadek at comcast.net> wrote:

Craig,

My '64 FC Van is what I was referring to. The tie rod end? or lower ball
joint? hit the edge of the rim. Didn't try the wheels on my '62 FC.

Chuck "FC-less" S
<unsnip>