<VV> LM interior conversion ideas

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 22:52:01 EDT 2007

                                   B"H

Tom:  My family complained so much about the low
bucket seats in my '69 Monza that I went to a scrap
yard and got a pair of '91 Nissan Maxima 4-door
buckets.  The driver's seat has manual lumbar, tilt
and height adjustments.  It wasn't an expensive
conversion and everything was bolt-in.

I got some angle steel with pre-drilled holes along
the length of the stock (like for a heavy duty metal
shelving unit), locking nuts (with the plastic insert)
and 5/16" bolts with lock washers.

First, I used Mapp gas to straighten the mountings of
the new seats so they would be completely flat and
mate to the Corvair floor smoothly.

I then contructed an "adapter frame" out of the angle
steel and bolts.  Then I bolted the new seats to the
new adapter frame, then bolted the assembly to the
Corvair floor using the stock mounting holes and
bolts.  I did have to drill out a couple of holes to
perfectly line the adapter with the stock holes in the
floor, but I refused to drill anything in the car's
structure since it's basically rust-free and I'm not
looking for trouble down the road.

In building the adapter frame, I used the stock seats
(out of the car) as a point of reference for the size
and location of the mounting holes in the car, and
cutting each piece of angle steel so form a rectangle
shape that would line up with both the seat and floor
mountings.  It's pretty straight forward once you get
the idea.

This way, if I ever want to replace the stock seats, I
can do so in a few minutes and there are no
alterations to the body whatsoever.

I'd strongly recommend using SAE 8 bolts wherever
possible for strength, and the thicker the steel for
the angle stock, the better.

The seats are nice and firm and don't move at all.
The adjustments are wonderful and I added a set of
leather-like seat covers which closely match the
orignal interior (black, it's the easiest color to
match!).  Everyone enjoys the car much more and since
we're all short in my family it is a big improvement.

Hope this helps...Bill Hershkowitz 69 Monza HT 110 PG