<VV> TransVair conversion

Mark Foltarz Foltarz at rocketmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:33:58 EDT 2007

Bill,

 Yes, since the conversion I have had a good deal of reliable travelling.

 One to many 'blown up' type IVs  and I even tried a Buick V6.

 That was great for pulling tree stumps and racing motorcycles ( up to 50mph )

 But the gearing of the stock trans was set up for 4300rpm @ 70 mph.

 I actually tried to give the thing away I was tired of messing with it.

 And then about 2 years ago a great guy , Karl Konen, in NJ, turned me on to a
complete drive train and conversion out of a wrecked bus.

 About 9 months later I finally got it in and going.

 The ordeal of the  V6 and subsequent corvair resultant :
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=55755

 The bus will get a suspension adjustment and a paint job.

 The engine will get new push rod  orings and thats about it.

 Mark

--- Bill Elliott <corvair at fnader.com> wrote:

> Absolutely! A few of us out here...
>
> This makes for a great conversion and a comfortable and reliable long
> distance tourer. My wife and daughter completed a 10,000 mile lap of the
> US last summer in the Whale (as we all affectionately call the '71 Westy
> that Corvair guru John Moody bought new in Germany and later converted
> to 110/PG/3.55 power) ... still remiss in putting together a Communique
> story about their experiences... but the website has some info and pictures.
>
> http://fnader.com/TRIP.htm
>
> Was just driving the Whale around this afternoon after doing a major
> card rebuild... she's ready for another lap!
>
> Bill
>

> Mark Foltarz wrote:
>
> >Hello all,
> >
> >  I was just wondering if there are any other folks with a Transvair vw bus
> >conversion.
> >
> >  Mine is a 75 Westy that now has a  '65 110 and 4 sp / 3.27.
> >
> >  I would be remiss if I didn't thank Tim Colson who was patient with this
> >Corvair neophyte and answered all my questions and helped me get the project
> >going.
> >
> >  Mark

Darn small world - even smaller when it comes to things Corvair.