<VV> PG Tranny debris - urgent

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 21 01:56:11 EDT 2007

I just lowered the transmission pan in an attempt to replace the pan
gasket as I had trouble putting on the last one about a month ago and
it started to leak.  I drove the car with the leaky gasket, but
checked every time (with the engine warm and the transmission in
neutral) to make sure the fluid level was up to normal.  It still
shifted early to drive, had no kickdown, and kicked (though not as
harshly as when I first started driving it after the engine
rebuild).  Tonight I found debris in the bottom of the pan.  It's
weird.  Most of it is in fine pieces (1/32-1/18") long and enough to
fill up a table spoon.  There are three larger pieces.  One is about
2" long and has what looks like it could be part of a curve of circle
of about 6-8" in diameter.  Another is about 1" long and possibly
could be part of a curve also.  The last is about 1/4" inch.  They
were located at the bottom of the pan.  There are no debris in the
filter screen, nor on the area around the screen.

Clean and reinstall or is this a sign of a serious problem.

I've got to get the car to the body shop tomorrow in order to start
the re-paint in time to make a very important club event at the 1st
of November.

Stephen