<VV> Elevating your Corvair

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Sat Sep 22 10:09:09 EDT 2007

FOR LM's:  I use a 2" x 3" about 6-8" long on the jack pad, placing the jack
just far enough forward of the triangular  pinch welds in front of the rear
wheels, to clear a jack stand. Jack stand pad goes up between pinch welds.
The floor jack w/ 2 x 3 fits against the rocker pinch weld outboard, in the
depression of the lower side of the rocker panel. One side comes up at a
time. You do have to be careful to have the 2 x 3 on the inner part of the
floor jack pad  because as it comes up high, the angle of the car will want
to push it outward. I use a piece of 15" x 2' steel tread plate with smooth
side up on dirt, to place the floor jack on. I use this on fresh asphalt,
hot asphalt, dirt, grass, etc.

For jack stands at the track, where almost always we are on dirt or grass,
and if on asphalt must use something under the jack stand, I use 2' lengths
of 6 x 6 for "jack stands".. As Frank mentioned, they distribute the forces
well, and don't sink into the ground.  I seldom use the jack stands at the
track. I always put a removed tire/wheel under the rocker and/or engine.

Chuck S