<VV> Unsafe at NO speed (elevating your Corvair)

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 22 12:56:35 EDT 2007

> > I seem to scratch my head a bit when I jack up the car at the proper points and then attempt to switch to a tripod jack so that I may move on to the next corner. The clearance between the floor jack at tripod jack is always so tight, especially when working in the rear of the car at aiming for that "right spot".
Yep, same prob here, especially with the aluminum floor jack carrying handle on one side - too lazy to remove it and it does make it easier to carry.  Always more of a problem on the passenger side.  I end up just turning the jack as needed.  With the swivel wheels, not so hard.  There's just enough room.

> The front is easier to deal with because you can jack on the crossmember and land to jacks on either side. Then again, maybe I shouldn't jack there?

Jacking there should be fine, as long as it's flat and level - don't want it tipping, be sure to it centered.> > And to add to all of this, what about the road racers, and more mobile (emergency) jacking situations, how to you handle 'on-the-spot' or 'in-the field' jacking?> I carry my aluminum floor jack with me most everywhere.

Barry in SC
2 lates, 2 earlies, got the engine back in the black car today, but she won't run.  hummm, got fire, checked timing, got fuel, too.  :(  Back to it when I get a fresh mind, and food on my tummy.