<VV> RE:converting a 2nd gen corvair to 3.8 buick engine

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 11:30:09 EDT 2007

<SNIP>
I am considering swapping the engine out of my 67 convertible engine and
replacing it with a 3.8 buick engine in the original location.

does any know of any websites or links which have pictures or sell
conversion parts?

I know what I have to do to reverse the engine rotation. I was looking foe
someone who has actually did the swap? <UNSNIP>

Sounds like a neat idea.  A couple of thoughts: Adapter bellhousings were
made for several engines, notably the Olds 215 V8.  The bellhousings are
extremely rare, as are the engine reversal parts.  I've never heard of any
adapters for the 3.8 and it's highly unlikely that any were ever made.
Likewise for engine reversal equipment (reverse camshaft, reverse water
pump). AFIR, the 3.8 is distributorless, so that's not so much of an issue.
Rather than inventing all that and possibly suffering some "I didn't think
of that), why not consider adapting that engine (or a later balance-shaft
4.3) to a Porsche 5-speed transaxle?  That transaxle accepts engines that
rotate CW so you won't have to reverse the engine.  Adapting this transaxle
to fit the car is far less work (and $$$) than trying to invent a reverse
3.8 and adapter.  Adapters are available for the 4.3 to Porsche.

Imho, the 215 V8 (non reversed) mated to the Porsche transaxle is the
ultimate and newish 215s are available up to 4.5L (Rover till 2005).  BYW,
it would be interesting to compare the weights of the 215, 4.3, and 3.8.
Supposedly, the 215 weighs about 50lbs less than a Corvair engine.  There is
a Corvair V8 list, chapter, and registry.  Pics are on the web.
Craig Nicol