<VV> 1969 build quality

Borrrris at aol.com Borrrris at aol.com
Sun Sep 23 12:10:58 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/22/2007 11:37:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gojoe283 at yahoo.com writes:

By  looking at the Corvair Body manual, you notice that
the Corvairs came from  Fisher pretty complete, missing
the drivetrain, suspension, steering  components, etc.
but mostly complete otherwise, with emblems,  molding,
carpeting, etc. already installed.

Therefore, if it's a  body component that's incomplete,
you're right that it's at Fisher not  Chevrolet.  It
would be most interesting to observe how Fisher  put
those Corvair bodies together!

VERY interesting observation, Bill.
While we know about the Corvair "short line" on the Chevy side,  what about
the Fisher body side in '69? Were the relative handful of Corvair  bodies being
built under improvised conditions there too? I've never heard any  discussion
of that.
Very interesting connection here to the story Smitty posted about a  'Vair
with seam sealer deliberately misapplied where it was most critical,  across the
widshield plenum. A friend of nine bought a ChevyII new, which from  day one
leaked like a sieve onto the front floor when it rained.  They  ended up
having to disassemble the front of the car to seal the windshield  plenum. The
service manager at the dealership told him that there was no sealer  there at all
from the factory.
Sounds like quality control issues at WRN Fisher Body would be  interesting
to learn more about.
  Matt from L.I. ('66 Monza coupe 110  PG)