<VV> stroke

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Sep 25 08:15:44 EDT 2007

At 02:23 PM 9/24/2007, JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:

>I thought the OHC 6 block was unique?

So did I.   It's my understanding that the OHC 6 block has no
provisions for a camshaft, lifters, or pushrods.

>I do understand that a 292 crank can
>be made to fit it, however.

That I didn't know...   :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It has a lot to do with the production machinery.
It is quite important to be able to make the new
engine on existing equipment.  Everything from
the boring of the blocks, machining of the crank
and camshafts, and machining of the heads is
affected.  The factory also has to be able to go
back to the old engine parts for service parts so
the bore centerlines are held.  The block itself can
be quite different as is the OHV engine.  I do not
know about swapping cranks but I would not be at
all surprised.

The Chevy 292 block is specific to trucks and as such
is made with heavy cylinder walls which allow a
considerable overbore ... never did it myself but there
were tales of using 6 Lincoln V8 pistons.

Ken Pepke