<VV> ohc 6

PL Booth Hotmail plbooth4 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 25 09:16:04 EDT 2007

Hey, I have a couple old hotrod/engine manuals/books and the ohc and chevy blocks weren't interchangeable, however, the bore/strokes were the same and cranks could be interchanged. the 292 made lots of torque but was under square and the crank was too light to spin very fast, also none of the heads had very good flow characteristics so pulling much hp at speed was difficult even with the 4bbl setup Pontiac had for a couple years.
I had some experience racing the 230/250 engines in those days including putting a turbo on them. they really ran well then as they could dissipate the heat with a decent radiator. many 1/4 round trackers used the 292 which could be bored to their limits of 305 cu.in. (5 liters) and worked fairly well on those dirt tracks where torque was king. Clifford research had heads, cams, intakes, and exhaust for the std engines but nothing for the ponchos. the factory crossflow 4bbl dual exhaust ohc 250 cu.in was rated (as memory serves increasingly poorly these days) 220hp. a good Pontiac sprint setup with modern shocks and tires ought to be a real hoot to drive and quite a sleeper in the street scenes. I remember them as being really bad understearers but its been 37 years since I drove one. AH Memories, I remember when I used to have them. PLB