<VV> Wrong oil in rebuilt 110

ChiefTAM at aol.com ChiefTAM at aol.com
Tue Sep 25 10:58:41 EDT 2007

Dennis, Matt and All:

OK, I am not an expert, but I know that after having the 110 rebuilt for my
69, with all new parts and put together by an experienced Corvair person, the
engine went south within 100-150 miles.  It did sound really good when we
fired it up and first drove it, and the problem was gradual, not acute,
indicating a possible problem with lubrication, not a critical part  failure.

In looking into the lubrication issue, I read the post from someone  that
identified the article from Charles Navarro of LN Engineering on What  Oil to Use
in My Porsche (or air cooled) Engine.  They were looking into  the problem
that is being talked about regarding older flat tappet engines being  rebuilt
just as they have been for decades, and then, inexplicably, failing  within a
few hundred or a thousand miles.  Many of the failures were said  to be lobes
wearing off the cam.  It evidently hasn't been a problem with  newer engines, as
they all seem to have roller lifters and cams.

The oil industry has been changing the formulation of their oils due to
additives messing up the pollution controls.  The focus of Navarro's  study was on
the levels of zinc and phosphorus found in motor oils, more  exactly, the
zinc (Zn) and phosphorus (P) that makes up the anti-wear additive  ZDDP, zinc
dialkyl dithiosphosphate.

Porsche recommends a level of .12 to .14 of Zn and P for anti-wear and
longevity in it's engines.  The guy that rebuilt my engine said that he was  told
that Rotella was one of the better oils for Corvairs, and so that is what  we
used to break in the engine, and then after the initial 20 minute run-in, we
changed it to fresh Rotella.

In looking at this study, Rotella dino was tested in 2005 and it had .1278  P
and .1555 Zn, which is in or above the range that Porsche recommended for its
 air cooled engines.  When Blackstone labs tested Rotella dino again in
early 2007, the levels were .0843 P and .0946 Zn, which is significantly lower
and below the .12 to .14 that Porsche says is needed for anti-wear.  This  seems
to confirm that the oil industry is changing the formulation of their  oils.

Again, I am not an expert in any way, shape or form, but I do know that I
lost two engines in my 69, the first on an "experienced" engine that  broke
piston rings on one cylinder, so we replaced that and put a new rod  bearing on
that cylinder while we were in there, just for good measure, and the  bearing
went out within 75 miles taking the whole engine, and the second  on the
complete rebuild.   I do use Rotella in my diesel truck,  and like the oil, but I
won't use it in a Corvair again!

Todd in TX