<VV> Wrong oil in rebuilt 110

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Sep 25 18:46:01 EDT 2007

At 08:41 PM 9/24/2007, ChiefTAM at aol.com wrote:
>We used Rotella from Wal-mart, as a year or so it was mentioned to be a  good
>oil for Corvairs.  After reading the article by the guy from the  Porsche
>list, after testing, the Rotella isn't the oil to use.
>
>Todd in TX

I've heard the same thing from the musclecar gang, in that this oil
used to be SL rated, meaning it contained zinc etc which helps keep
flat tappet camshaft lobes from scuffing, particularly cams with
rapid-rise lobe ramps and stiff springs (as in performance aps).

Rotella has  been reformulated and the additives (zinc, phosphor etc)
needed to keep lifters from scuffing cam lobes have been
reduced.   It's now rated SM...  still OK if you spike it with some
of the additives available for protecting hard-contact points like
flat tappet cam lobes.    But running it straight will now work no
better than any other SM rated oil.

Hughes cams has a pretty decent oil additive for such stuff.    They
used to recommend Rotella for cam break-in, but now things have changed.

...more reason to run the green GT-1 Bradd-Penn stuff IMHO.

tony..