<VV> 64 Parts/Windshield

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Sep 27 07:33:42 EDT 2007

 To remove windshield and not save the rubber, cut the rubber
gasket on the inside at the pinchweld. i.e. cut off the inside
portion of the gasket.To save both rubber and glass, well maybe sometimes....,
carefully use a plastic pry tool like:+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My best friend for almost 50 years has owned a junkyard.  My association with him over the years has given me the opportunity to remove countless windshields from Corvairs and other cars.  The windshields retained by the rubber gasket can be removed in a short amount of
time with 100% success by using a 1/4 inch flat blade screwdriver.

I start in the middle at the top and gently fold the rubber flange back under the body pinch
weld flange.  I work my way across the top in both directions and then down one side then
the other.  I continue along the bottom, working from both sides and meet in the middle.  At
that point the glass with the complete rubber is merely laying on the car and can easily be picked up.

DO NOT try to lift the glass out when just a little of the rubber along the bottom is still over
the pinch weld flange.  The chances of cracking the glass are extremely high ... almost a guarantee.

The back lite can be removed by laying upside down on the back seat and pushing up with
your feet!  I have never had one break using this method.  LM Corvairs require cutting the
bonding strip with a razor knife or a wire.

Ken Pepke